A little girl has been injured after falling into a rhino enclosure at a zoo in Florida.
The two-year-old had been visiting Brevard Zoo with her family on Tuesday when she fell through steel poles that separate guests from rhinos during the daily hands-on experience.
A zoo spokesman said: “According to witnesses, the child stumbled and fell in between two of the poles and at this point the snout of at least one rhinocerous made contact with the child.”
She was taken to an Orlando hospital with her mother, and the seriousness of her injuries is not known.
The zoo’s director Keith Winsten told Florida Today that he did not believe the the girl had been touched by the rhino’s horn.
He said: “Our number one concern is the safety and welfare of our guests and our hearts go out to the family.
“Safety has always been of paramount importance to us and we are suspending these encounters until we have thoroughly reviewed our processes and procedures to ensure this cannot happen again.”
Brevard Zoo has run the hands-on experience every day since 2009 with no previous problems, a spokesman added.